$56,936.25 – $78,226.72 Annually
To be eligible to take the written exam you must:
1. Be between the ages of 18 and 35. Applicant 36 years of age or older is not eligible for a beginning position as a firefighter.
2. Be a U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization OR a permanent resident
If applicable, the following document is due by the application deadline:
• Optional: Copy of DD-214 if ever in the military. (Persons having been honorably discharged from the military service and who pass the written examination will receive an additional five (5) points to the raw score.)
The following is due by the time of hire:
• Copy of Birth Certificate
• Copy of High School Diploma or GED
• Copy of *Texas Paramedic License/Certificate OR National Registry Paramedic License/Certificate.
*Please be aware that obtaining a paramedic license takes about one year to complete. If you do not possess this certification by the time we reach your name, you will be skipped over. However, you may be considered if you obtain the license/certification if vacancies exist and the list is still active.
Applicants shall, by the time of hire:
• Must be a U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization OR a permanent resident and able to read, write, and fluently speak English.
• Must have high school diploma or GED.
• Must have Texas Paramedic Certificate, Texas License or National Registry Paramedic Certificate.
• Must be non-user of tobacco products.
Not eligible if applicant:
• Motor vehicle records reflect a DWI conviction within three (3) years preceding the date of application or more than two (2) moving traffic violation and/or accidents within twenty-four (24) months preceding the date of application or a currently suspended drivers license
• Has been found or have admitted to use of marijuana during the last two (2) years;
• Has been found or admitted to use of methamphetamines, speed, crank, crack (or any other form of cocaine), steroids or any other controlled substance without a prescription within the last five (5) years;
• Has been found or have admitted to the use of methamphetamines, speed, crank, crack, (or any other form of cocaine) on more than three occasions;
• Has ever used heroin (or any heroin based substances), opium or PCP, who have ever intentionally used LSD, or who has ever sold or distributed marijuana or any other controlled substance are permanently disqualified;
• Have been found or who admit to abuse of legally obtained prescription medications, or illegal use of prescription medication of another person. Conduct involving abuse and/or misuse of prescription medication shall be considered on a case by case basis with consideration give to circumstances and recency