MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AT TIME OF APPLICATION
1. Be a citizen of the United States or a resident alien with the right to work in the United States.
2. Have a high school diploma or valid equivalency certificate. Bachelor’s degree, or an Associate’s degree in a Fire Science or an EMS curriculum preferred.
3. Hold a current State of Michigan Paramedic License or National Registry EMT – Paramedic, and be ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) certified, or provide documentation that the applicant is within six months of graduation from a Paramedic/ACLS curriculum.
4. Possess (or be in the process of obtaining) the:
a. Conference of Western Wayne Firefighter written test or EMPCO written test, and
b. The Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT), which must have been issued in the 12 months prior to the date of application.
5. Possess normal visual functions and acuity in each eye, correctable to 20/20 with eyeglasses.
6. Be free from any physical defects, chronic diseases, organic or functional conditions or mental and emotional instabilities which may tend to impair the efficient performance of duties or which might endanger the lives of others or the individual employee.
7. Possess and maintain a valid motor vehicle operator’s or a basic commercial driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record.
8. AT THE TIME OF CERTIFICATION TO THE DEPARTMENT FOR FINAL INTERVIEW AND HIRING CONSIDERATION, CANDIDATES MUST POSSESS:
A. A current State of Michigan Paramedic License or National Registry EMT – Paramedic, and be currently ACLS certified; AND
B. A State of Michigan Firefighter II Certificate or equivalent certification in a state that has reciprocity.
NOTE: CANDIDATES ARE REQUIRED TO SUBMIT ORIGINAL DEGREES/TRANSCRIPTS, LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS BY THE INTERVIEW DATE.