The City of San Marcos will conduct a Civil Service Examination in order to establish an eligibility list for hiring
Firefighters. This eligibility list will be in effect for a period of one year from the test date or until the list has
been exhausted, whichever occurs first.
**See text box on page 2 for REQUIRED documents that must be submitted on-line by deadline: April 9th.
Test Date: April 13, 2018
Time: NO ADMITTANCE TO THE TEST SITE AFTER 9:00 AM
Test site: San Marcos Activity Center, 501 E. Hopkins, San Marcos, Texas 78666
Starting Salary: $4,106 Monthly ($49,268 Annual)
Incentive Pay: Firefighters are eligible to receive incentive pay for Education, TCFP Certification, and/or
Advanced EMS certifications (see below for more information)
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
• Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age and not over thirty-five (35) years of age on the date of the
• Must be a high school graduate or have equivalency certificate certified by the issuing agency (i.e.: Texas
• Must hold a Texas Department of State Health Services “DSHS” Emergency Medical Services Certification
Paramedic (National Registry, Licensed, or Certification).
• Must possess a Basic (or above) Structure Fire Suppression Certification from the Texas Commission on
Fire Protection or documentation from the Texas Commission on Fire Protection stating that the applicant
is certified as a firefighter on the date of examination.
• Must be able to obtain a Class B Texas Driver’s License within one year of employment.
• Must comply with all applicable Civil Service Requirements and Regulations.